Always a tour guide...


I was fortunate to be invited to chaperone some students to a leadership conference in Springfield, IL.  We had some time to kill, so we went to the Illinois State Capitol...one of my favorite buildings in the entire state.
I simply can't quiet the docent in me when I get an opportunity to expose new people to historic architecture.  These pre-teen students made it abundantly clear that they would have preferred shopping to learning about architecture. 
Many had never been to Springfield, and had never seen a building as grand as our state house.
These students did not disappoint!  I tried to keep them focused on the design on the floor until we were directly under the rotunda.   As soon as I pointed to the fabulous rotunda, several of them reacted by dropping to the floor so they could easily gaze upwards.  It was such a pure and wonderful reaction to witness!  Several students later told me it was their favorite part of the trip. ❤❤❤

Comments

Most Read