Here we go!

I work in the tourism industry, as the Executive Director of a National Historic Landmark/house museum.  The Hegeler Carus Mansion  is located in La Salle, IL-just a little over an hours drive from Chicago.  It is a beautiful home with a fascinating history.  It is less than a mile from where I grew up-and it was open to the public for more than ten years before I found time to go see it.

Like most people, I saved my vacation days, hopped on an airplane and visited far away places whenever I had the chance.  I neglected all of the interesting things right in my own backyard.  I did not know what I was missing!

I love to tell people who visit the mansion about all of the wonderful places to see right here in our own back yard.  There is great history in central Illinois, and every small town has a story.  You don't have to travel far to have a great time.  I spend a lot of time promoting tourist attractions--even when I am not at work.

Now, some people call me a work-aholic.  I prefer to say I am passionate.  That being said, I realize that I too need to take time to stop and smell the roses, revisit all of these wonderful places where I am always sending other people and maybe find some new places to go.  So, that is what I am going to do...and this blog is the accountability piece of it.  I plan to stop and see at least one new place each week in my own back yard and then write about it.

I hope you will join me, and I hope this blog will inspire you to be a tourist in your own back yard too.

Most of these trips will take less than a tank of gas round trip.  Many will be historic locations, special events, festivals, kid friendly trips-because I have 5 adorable nephews, and places that I want to go with my friends-because they don't stop to smell the roses enough either. 

So buckle up, because here we go!

Comments

  1. Thanks Kelly for starting this blog. I too am guilty of ignoring my own backyard until recently. A few weeks ago, my wife and I decided spend a weekend in LaSalle County. We visited the Hegeler Carus Mansion, took a ride on the I&M Canal, and had a 4 star dinner in downtown LaSalle - all for much less than we would have paid for an evening in Chicago! It's definitely time that more people learned about this fascinating area.
    -Mark MacLean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Read